Building digital capability
Equipping your staff and students to thrive in a digital world.
About building digital capability
Workplaces are changing. It is estimated that, in 20 years’ time, 90% of all jobs will require people to work with digital technologies. Already, many firms struggle to recruit workers with digital skills.
To live, learn and work in a digital society, your students need to develop the digital skills that employers want now, as well as the confidence and deeper-seated capabilities that will enable them to progress in their careers and adapt to emerging technologies. Our own research shows that students expect their college or university to deliver this alongside their degree or vocational training.
Developing digital confidence
What building digital capability offers
Access to our discovery tool
Our discovery tool allows staff and students to reflect on their digital capabilities and helps you to:
- Identify current strengths and areas for development
- Give staff and students a personalised report with suggested next steps and resources
- Surface your local development opportunities
- Provide a picture of how your staff and students feel about their digital skills with data dashboards
- These show what a digitally capable organisation might look like
- Provides a step-by-step approach to help you wherever you are on your journey
Advice and guidance
- The dedicated building digital capabilities website helps you to find practical advice and guidance
A community of practice
- A space for staff and leaders to share experiences and spark ideas
- Subscribed organisations receive two priority places to each of our biannual events
Training and consultancy
- Take things further with discounted training courses that support you and your staff
- Access to expert consultancy to help you achieve your goals
I found the discovery tool really well put together, it is clear and concise and arguably has more traction and weight having been developed by an external organisation.
Richard Fullylove, strategic ILT manager/rheolwr TDG strategol, Coleg y Cymoedd
Benefits to your organisation
The service will enable your organisation to:
- Support digital leaders and equip them to plan an effective digital transformation
- Help staff understand why digital capability matters
- Help students develop digital skills that will prepare them for the workplace of the future
- Engage in conversations about digital skills using a common language
- Enable the reward and recognition of digital skills
- Get more value from your investment in digital
- Capture data to inform future investment decisions
- Benchmark your progress against peer organisations
Freeing students and staff from the confines of the classroom
University of Wales Trinity Saint David is using a consistent, collaborative engagement approach to encourage take-up of assessment and training. This helps people feel comfortable to explore new ways of working. Read the full story (pdf).
Using technologies creatively and consistently to support student learning
In a little over a year, Leeds Trinity University implemented the building digital capability discovery tool, created a buzz about it and embedded it into key HR processes. Read the full case study (pdf).
Creating a digitally enabled organisation
Our building digital capability and digital experience insights services are a direct response to the challenges you told us you face. See how combining them can really make your investment count (pdf).
Text description for building digital capabilities model graphic
- Left panel - Our digital experience insights surveys provide powerful data to help you understand how your students, staff and researchers are using the technology you offer. Use this to form strategic and operational decisions about the digital environment.
- Centre panel - Our building digital capabilities service includes our innovative discovery tool that provides detailed, anonymised data on the digital capabilities and needs of your staff and students. Improve digital capabilities using organisational and national benchmarking data.
- Right panel - Vital data that informs and evidences year-on-year improvements.
Request more information about building digital capabilities or sign up to our community of practice JiscMail list to receive updates on this service.