This course will be held on
There are no upcoming dates
Register your interest / Join the waiting list: email@example.com
The second course in a series of four on the theme of making assistive technology decisions. While it is useful if you have some understanding of the experiences of students who are deaf or hard of hearing, those new to the field are welcome.
Suitable for those seeking an introduction to assistive technology for deaf or hard of hearing students in further and higher education, there will also be opportunities for more experienced practitioners to reflect on or enhance their existing practice. Supporting materials will be provided.
The other courses in this 'making assistive technology decisions' series will be delivered during 2022 and will cover the following topics:
- Needs assessment essentials
- Strategic approaches to implementing assistive technology
- Assistive technology for students who have a vision impairment
Who should attend
People working in further and higher education with an interest in assistive technology and empowering deaf and hard of hearing students. This will likely include, but is not restricted to, people working in roles such as: disability adviser, needs assessor, assistive technologist, student support adviser, teaching assistant, or lecturer.
Maximum group size 20.
What we cover
This two-hour live online course will cover:
- Taking a student-centred approach
- Technology in different contexts
- Integrating technology with other forms of support
- Accessibility considerations eg captioning
- Collaborative working
By the end of the session you will be able to:
- Use student-centred methods when making AT recommendations for deaf and hard of hearing students
- Consider where AT sits in terms of reasonable adjustments and inclusive practice
- Apply frameworks that support information gathering and decision making
- Begin to create an expert network to support your practice
Pricing and eligibility
- Jisc members - £95 + VAT
- Non member, not-for-profit - £115 + VAT
- Other organisations - £150 + VAT
If you book all four courses in the ‘making assistive technology decisions’ series, we offer a four for the price of three discount.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for the discount code if booking all four sessions.
Member types and VAT information
Jisc members: typically publicly funded FE, HE and Research institutions.
Non-members, not-for-profit: Eligible local government, public sector, private/independent education providers and non-profit customers.
Other organisations: Eligible local government, public sector, private/independent education providers and non-profit customers.
VAT is charged at 20% of the value of the service. If you are a member of Jisc’s VAT-exempt cost sharing group, and you are able to provide confirmation of the exact taxable/exempt use of the service, we will be able to reduce the amount of VAT chargeable to reflect the taxable business use proportion of the service only. This additional information is required as a result of a change to HMRC policy. Please contact email@example.com if you require more information.
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 01235 822242.